Fei Chen received the B.S. degree in computer science from Xi’an Jiaotong University (XJTU), Xi’an, China, in 2006, the M.S. degree in computer science from Harbin Institute of Technology (HIT), Harbin, China, in 2008, and the Dr. Eng. degree from Fukuda Laboratory, Micro-nano Systems Engineering, Nagoya University, Nagoya, Japan, in 2012, followed by a one-year postdoc. In June 2013, he joined the Department of Advanced Robotics within Italian Institute of Technology (IIT), Italy. Since then, he has been leading the mobile manipulation group. In 2019, as a researcher, he found the Active Perception and Robot Interactive Learning (APRIL) Laboratory within IIT. In 2020, he joined The Chinese University of Hong Kong and found the Smart Manipulation Robots Laboratory with the Department of Mechanical and Automation Engineering. He has been working as the PI of several EU and Italian national projects, e.g., EU FP7 AutoMAP, EU H2020 FET Chist-Era Learn-Real, and VINUM. His main research interest lies in robot learning and control of robot manipulation on various wheeled and legged mobile manipulators for real world tasks. He has more than 40 publications with several conference and journal awards. He is co-chair of IEEE Robotics and Automation Society Technical Committee on Neuro-Robotics Systems. He is also involved in the organization of several IEEE technical co-sponsored conferences and workshops. He is an IEEE Senior Member.
- Mobile manipulation robot
- Robot grasping and manipulation
- Robot perception and learning
- EU H2020, Chist-Era, Learn-Real - Learning physical manipulation skills with simulators using realistic variations, 200,000 EUR, 2019-2022
- Italian VINUM - Grape Vine Recognition, Manipulation and Winter Pruning Automation, 200,000 EUR, 2018-2023
- EU FP7, EUROC, AutoMAP - Autonomous Mobile Manipulation, 580,000 EUR, 2014-2017
Journal Papers (in the recent five years)
- Wei He, Fei Chen, et. al., “Bidirectional Human-Robot Bimanual Handover of Big Planar Object with Vertical Posture”, IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, 2020, to appear.
- Shiyin Qiu, Fei Chen, et. al., “An algorithm for Exoskeleton Online Learning and Estimation of Human Walking Intention Based on Dynamical Movement Primitives”, in IEEE Transactions on Cognitive and Developmental Systems, 2020, to appear.
- Junjun Li, Fei Chen, et. al., “Combined Sensing, Cognition, Learning and Control to Developing Future NeuroRobotics Systems: A Survey”, in IEEE Transactions on Cognitive and Developmental Systems, Volume: 11, Issue: 2, pp. 148 – 161, June 2019.
- Fei Chen, et. al., “Dexterous Grasping by Manipulability Selection for Mobile Manipulator with Visual Guidance”, in IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, Volume: 15, Issue: 2, pp. 1202-1210, Feb. 2019.
- Zhijun Li, Fei Chen, et. al., “Reinforcement Learning of Manipulation and Grasping using Dynamical Movement Primitives for a Humanoid-like Mobile Manipulator” in IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, Volume: 23, Issue: 1, pp. 121-131, 2017.
- Fei Chen, et. al., “Optimal Subtask Allocation for Human and Robot Collaboration within Hybrid Assembly System” in IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, Volume: 11, Issue: 4, pp. 1065-1075, 2014.
Honours and Awards
- 2018 Best Paper Award Finalist, IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, 2018
- Best Paper Award Finalist, IEEE International Conference on CYBER Technology in Automation, Control, and Intelligent Systems (IEEE-CYBER 2019)
- Best Paper Award, 11th International Workshop on Human Friendly Robotics (HFR2018)
- Best Automation Paper Award Finalist, IEEE International Conference on Mechatronics and Automation (ICMA2016)
- Best Advanced Robotics Paper Award, IEEE International Conference on Advanced Robotics and Mechatronics (ICARM2016)
- Best Student Paper Award Finalist, IEEE International Conference on Advanced Robotics and Mechatronics (ICARM2016)