Yongsheng CHEN received his BS in Materials Science and Engineering from Tsinghua University in 1994, MS in Physics from the Institute of Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, in 1997, and PhD in Chemical Engineering from Lehigh University in 2003. Dr. Chen spent 2003-2007 as a postdoctoral associate at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory in Richland, WA, USA, followed by a stint as a research associate at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory in Golden, CO. In 2007-2014 Dr. Chen was an Assistant Professor in the Department of Energy and Mineral Engineering at the Pennsylvania State University, and he is currently an Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical and Automation Engineering at the Chinese University of Hong Kong. Dr. Chen has published 53 papers in peer-reviewed journals and given numerous presentations at national and international conferences. He was Treasurer of the ACS Fuel Chemistry (later Energy and Fuels) Division for three years and organized 3 American Chemical Society (ACS) symposia in hydrogen production, storage and utilization.
- Sustainable fuel production
- Vehicle emissions control
- Heterogeneous catalysis
- Materials characterization
ESSC2800 Introduction to Environmental Engineering
GECC4130 Senior Seminar (for Chung Chi College)
ENER2010 Energy Technologies for the Environment
ENGG1410 Linear Algebra and Vector Calculus for Engineers
Journal Papers (in the recent five years)
J. Ren, K. Cheng, M. Li, S. Zhao, H. Li, Y. Chen, Bridging the gaps between experimental and mechanistic catalysis research: a case study with CO oxidation over a Pd/Al2O3 catalyst, ChemCatChem, 2019, doi: 10.1002/cctc.201900839.
M. Li, K. Cheng, J. Ren, Y. Chen, Controlling the Reduction Extent for Metal Catalysts. ChemistrySelect, 2019, 4, 5496 –5502.
X. Yu, L. Wang, M. Chen, X. Fan, Z. Zhao, K. Cheng, Y. Chen, Z. Sojka, Y. Wei, J. Liu, Enhanced activity and sulfur resistance for soot combustion on three-dimensionally ordered macroporous-mesoporous MnxCe1-xOδ/SiO2 catalysts. Appl. Catal. B: Environ., 2019, 254, 246-259.
J. Ren, M. Li, A.C. Lee, K. Cheng, Y. Chen, IR spectroscopic measurement of hydrogen production kinetics in methane dry reforming. Int. J. Hydrogen Energy, 2019, 44(20), 9866-9872.
J. Ren, A.C. Lee, K. Cheng, M. Li, Y. Chen, Measure the unmeasurable by IR spectroscopy: carbon deposition kinetics in dry reforming of methane. ChemPhysChem, 2018, 19, 1814-1819.
K. Cheng, B. Liu, W. Song, J. Liu, Y. Chen, Z. Zhao, Y. Wei, Effect of Nb Promoter on the structure and performance of iron titanate catalysts for the selective catalytic reduction of NO with NH3, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 2018, 57, 7802-7810.
C. Gong, Z. Shi, Y. Zhang, Y. Chen, J. Hu, J. Gou, M. Qin, F. Gao, Fabrication and thermoelectric properties of Ca-Co-O ceramics with negative Seebeck coefficient, Results Phys., 9 2018, 1233-1238.
C. Gong, G. Dong, J. Hu, Y. Chen, M. Qin, S. Yang, F. Gao, Effect of reducing annealing on the microstructure and thermoelectric properties of La-Bi co-doped SrTiO3 ceramics, J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 28 2017, 14893-14900.
Y. Huang, Z. Xu, J. Mai, T.-K. Lau, X. Lu, Y.-J. Hsu, Y. Chen, A. C. Lee, Y. Hou, Y. S. Meng, Q. Li, Revisiting the origin of cycling enhanced capacity of Fe3O4 based nanostructured electrode for lithium ion batteries, Nano Energy, 41 2017, 426-433.
J. Deng, J. Liu, W. Song, Z. Zhao, L. Zhao, A. C. Lee, Y. Chen, J. Liu, Selective catalytic reduction of NO with NH3 over Mo-Fe/Beta catalysts: the effect of Mo loading amounts, RSC Adv., 2017, 7, 7130 -39.
J. Liu, Y. Du, J. Liu, Z. Zhao, Y. Chen, Y. Wei, W. Song, X. Zhang, Design of MoFe/Beta@CeO2 catalysts with a core-shell structure and their catalytic performances for the selective catalytic reduction of NO with NH3, Appl. Catal. B: Environ. 203 2017, 704-714.
- L. Yang, S. Shan, R. Loukrakpam, Y. Ren, B. N. Wanjala, J. Luo, J. Yin, M. Engelhard, Y. Chen, V. Petkov, C.-J. Zhong, “Platinum-containing ternary nanoalloy catalysts for CO oxidation”, 243rd ACS National Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, August 19-23, 2012.
- C.-J. Zhong, R. Loukrakpam, J. Yin, L. Yang, S. Shan, L. Lin, J. Luo, M. Engelhard, Y. Chen, V. Petkov, “Synthesis and processing of binary and ternary nanocatalysts: New insights into the nanoalloy structures”, 243rd ACS National Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, August 19-23, 2012.
- J. Luo, R. Loukrakpam, B. N. Wanjala, B. Fang, J. Kinzler, Y.-S. Kim, J. Yin, Y. Chen, M. Engelhard, V. Petkov, Y. Liu, K. K. Luo, C.-J. Zhong, “Structural correlation of electrocatalytic properties of nanoengineered ternary alloy catalysts for oxygen reduction reaction”, 243rd ACS National Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, August 19-23, 2012.
- C. Xie, Y. Chen, C. Song. “Effects of Rh addition on steam reforming of liquid hydrocarbons for H2 production over Ni/Al2O3 and its structural/surface properties”, 244th ACS National Meeting, San Diego, CA, March 25-29, 2012.
- C. Song, J. J. Strohm, J. Zheng, C. Xie, Y. Li, X. Wang, Y. Chen, J. Guo, M. Janik. “Improving sulfur tolerance and carbon resistance of bimetallic catalysts for steam reforming of hydrocarbon fuels for fuel cells”, 243rd ACS National Meeting, San Diego, CA, March 25-29, 2012.