Director of CUHK T Stone Robotics Institute (CURI),
Director of Hong Kong Centre for Logistics Robotics
Professor Yunhui Liu is Choh-Ming Li Professor of Mechanical and Automation Engineering at the Faculty of Engineering. He received the Bachelor of Engineering degree at Beijing Institute of Technology in 1985, the Master of Engineering from Osaka University in 1989, and the Ph.D. degree in Mathematical Engineering from the University of Tokyo in 1992. After working at the Electrotechnical Laboratory of Japan as a Research Scientist, he joined The Chinese University of Hong Kong in 1995 and was promoted to a Professor at the Department of Mechanical and Automation Engineering in 2002. He is currently the Director of the CUHK T Stone Robotics Institute, and also the Director of Hong Kong Centre for Logistics Robotics, an InnoCentre funded by the InnoHK Clusters of the HKSAR government.
Professor Liu is a globally renowned scholar in robotics and automation. His research interests include vision-based robotics, logistics robotics, medical robotics, construction robotics, machine vision, and artificial intelligence. He has published over 500 papers in refereed journals and conference proceedings and was listed in the Highly Cited Authors (Engineering) by Thomson Reuters in 2013. Professor Liu has received numerous research awards from international journals and conferences and government agencies. His research is widely funded by Hong Kong RGC, ITF, QEF, the national strategic development grant, etc. He was the Editor-in-Chief of Robotics and Biomimetics, an IEEE Fellow, and a HKIE Fellow.
- Medical robotics
- Logistics robotics
- Construction robotics
- Machine Vison
- Biomedical engineering
- Image-guided Automated Robotic Surgery (funded by RGC Theme-based Research Scheme)
- Manipulation control of deformable objects
- Precision autonomous driving of industrial vehicles (funded by ITC)
- Real-time 3D construction of objects and scenes
ENGG1100E Introduction to Engineering Design
Selected Journal Papers
- C. Sui, J. Wu, Z. Wang, G. Ma, and Y. H. Liu, A real-time 3D laparoscopic imaging system: design, method and validation, IEEE Trans. on Biomedical Engineering, early access, 2020.
- S. Zhou, H. Zhao, W. Chen, Z. Miao, Z. Liu, H. Wang and Y. H. Liu, Robust Path Following of the Tractor-Trailers System in GPS-Denied Environments, IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 500-507, 2020. (Honorable Mention for the Best Paper Award)
- X. Liang , H. Wang, Y.-H. Liu, Z. Liu, B. You, Z. Jing, and W. Chen, Purely Image-Based Pose Stabilization of Nonholonomic Mobile Robots With a Truly Uncalibrated Overhead Camera, IEEE Trans. on Robotics, early access, 2020.
- T. Zhang, Y. Wen and Y. H. Liu, Developing a Parallel Robot for MRI-Guided Breast Intervention, IEEE Trans. on Medical Robotics and Bionics, vol. 2, no. 1, 2020.
- F. Zhong, P. Li, J. Shi, Z. Wang, J. Wu, J. Y. K. Chan, N. Leung, I. Leung, M. C. F. Tong, Y. H. Liu, Foot-Controlled Robot-Enabled EnDOscope Manipulator (FREEDOM) for Sinus Surgery: Design, Control, and Evaluation, IEEE Trans. on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 67, no. 6, 2020. (featured paper)
- J. Wu, Z. Wng, W. Che, Y. Wang, and Y. H. Liu, Design and Validation of a Novel Leaf Spring Based Variable Stiffness Joint with Reconfigurability, IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, early access, 2020.
- B. Yang, W. Chen, Z. Wang, Y. Lu, J. Mao, H. Wang, and Y. H. Liu, Adaptive FOV control of laparoscopes with programmable composed constraints, IEEE Trans. on Medical Robotics and Bionics, 1(4): 206-216, 2019.
- Q. Nie, J. Wang, X. Wang and Y. H. Liu, View-Invariant Human Action Recognition Based on a 3D Bio-Constrained Skeleton Model, IEEE Trans. on Image Processing, vol. 20, no. 8, 2019.
- H. Tang, Y. H. Liu, and H. Wang, Constraint Gaussian Filter with Virtual Measurement for Online Camera-Odometry Calibration, IEEE Trans. on Robotics, 34(4): 630-644, 2018.
- X. Liang, H. Wang, Y. H. Liu and W. Chen, Formation control of nonholonomic mobile robots without position and velocity measurements, IEEE Trans. on Robotics, 34(2):434-446, 2018
- D. Navarro-Alarcon and Y. H. Liu, Fourier-based shape servoing: a new feedback method to actively deform soft objects into desired 2D image contours, IEEE Trans. on Robotics, 34(1): 272-279, 2018.
- D. Navarro-Alarcon, H. M. Yip, Z Wang, Y. H. Liu, F. Zhong, T. Zhang, and P. Li, Automatic 3D manipulation of soft objects by robotic arms with adaptive deformation model, IEEE Trans. on Robotics, 32(2): 429-441, 2016.
- D. Navarro-Alarcon, Y. H. Liu, J. G. Romero, and P. Li, Model-free visually servoed deformation control of elastic objects by robot manipulators, IEEE Trans. on Robotics, 29(6):1457-1468, 2013.
- K. Wang, Y. H. Liu and L. Li, Visually servoed trajectory tracking of nonholonomic mobile robots without direct position measurement, IEEE Trans. on Robotics, 30(4):1026-1035, 2014.
- D. Navarro-Alarcon, Y. H. Liu, J. G. Romero and P. Li, On the visual deformation servoing of compliant objects: uncalibrated control methods and experiments, Int. Journal of Robotics Research, 33(11):1462-1480, 2014.
- H. Wang, Y. H. Liu, and D. Zhou, Adaptive visual servoing using point and line features with an uncalibrated eye-in-hand camera, IEEE Trans. on Robotics, 24(4): 843-857, 2008.
- M. Li and Y. H. Liu, Dynamic modeling and experimental validation for interactive endodontic simulation, IEEE Trans. on Robotics, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 443-458, 2007.
- Y.H. Liu, H. Wang, C. Wang and K. K. Lam, Uncalibrated visual servoing of robots using a depth-independent interaction matrix, IEEE Trans. on Robotics, 22(4):804-817, 2006.
- Y. H. Liu, M. L. Lam and D. Ding, A complete and efficient algorithm for searching for 3-D form-closure grasps in discrete domain, IEEE Trans. on Robotics, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 805-816, October, 2004.
- Y. H. Liu, Qualitative test and force optimization of 3D frictional form-closure grasps using linear programming, IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 163-173, 1999.
- Y. H. Liu and S. Arimoto, Finding the shortest paths of discs among polygonal obstacles using a radius-independent graph. IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 682-691, 1995.
- H. Li, J. Zhao, J. E. Bazin, W. Chen, Z. Liu and Y. H. Liu, Quasi-Globally Optimal and Efficient Vanishing Point Estimation in Manhattan World, 2019 IEEE/CVF International Conference on Computer Vision (ICCV), 2019.
- Z. Liu, S. Zhou, C. Suo, P. Yin, W. Chen, H. Wang, H. Li, Y. H. Liu, LPD-Net: 3D Point Cloud Learning for Large-Scale Place Recognition and Environment Analysis, 2019 IEEE/CVF International Conference on Computer Vision (ICCV), 2019.
- J. Wang, J. Jiao, L. Bao, S. He, Y. H. Liu, W. Liu, Self-Supervised Spatio-Temporal Representation Learning for Videos by Predicting Motion and Appearance Statistics, 2019 IEEE/CVF Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), 2019.
- H. Li, Y Xing, J. Zhao, J.-C. Bazin, Z. Liu, and Y. H. Liu, Leveraging structure regularity of Altanta world for monocular SLAM, 2019 IEEE Int. Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA),, 2019.
- Z. Liu, S. Zhou, H. Wang, Y. Shen, H. Li, and Y. H. Liu, A hierarchical framework for coordinating large-scale robot networks, 2019 IEEE Int. Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA),, 2019.
- F. Zheng, Y. H. Liu, Visual-Odometric Localization and Mapping for Ground Vehicles Using SE(2)-XYZ Constraints, 2019 IEEE Int. Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA),, 2019.
- D. C. F. Li, Z. Wang, B. Ouyang, and Y. H. Liu, A Reconfigurable Variable Stiffness Manipulator by a Sliding Layer Mechanism, 2019 IEEE Int. Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA),, 2019.
- S. Zhou, Z. Liu, C. Suo, H. Wang, H. Zhao, and Y. H. Liu, Vision-Based Dynamic Control of Car-Like Mobile Robots, 2019 IEEE Int. Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA),, 2019.
- C. Sui, K. He, C. Lyu, Z. Wang, Y. H. Liu, 3D Surface Reconstruction Using A Two-Step Stereo Matching Method Assisted with Five Projected Patterns, 2019 IEEE Int. Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2019.