Prof X Song obtained his Bachelor degree in Mechanical Engineering and Automation from Tsinghua University, China (2006) and Doctorate degree (D.Phil) in Materials Engineering from University of Oxford, UK (2010). After working briefly from 2010 to 2012 in Oxford for Rolls Royce University Technology Center (RR-UTC) on stress analysis and numerical simulation, he joined Singapore Institute of Manufacturing Technology (SIMTech) under Agency of Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR) Singapore as scientist/senior scientist from 2012, and won the best industry project award (2016) and best staff presentation award (2019) during his tenure. He recently joined Chinese University of Hong Kong in 2019 as Assistant Professor in design and manufacturing.
Prof. Song currently serves as editor of <Materials and Design> (2019 Impact Factor 5.77) and reviewer for many other journals. He has more than 100 papers published in SCI journals and 2 book chapters by Springer-Verlag Ltd. He is a member of Institute of Physics (MInstP) and Chartered Engineer (CEng) UK.
- Residual stress analysis and deformation mechanism study
- Micro/meso manufacturing processes
- Physically-based finite element simulation
- Design for Additive Manufacturing
MAEG2601 Technology, Society & Engineering Practice
MAEG2602 Professional Practicum
Journal Papers (in the recent five years)
- G Yan, A Bhowmik, B Nagarajan, X Song, SC Tan, MJ Tan, The bonding temperature effects on the wide-gap transient liquid phase bonding of Inconel 718 using BNi-2 paste filler metal, Applied Surface Science (2019) 484, 1223-1233
- H Zhang, A Jérusalem, E Salvati, C Papadaki, KS Fong, X Song, Alexander M Korsunsky, Multi-scale mechanisms of twinning-detwinning in magnesium alloy AZ31B simulated by crystal plasticity modeling and validated via in situ synchrotron XRD and in situ SEM-EBSD, International Journal of Plasticity (2019) 119, 43-56
- Song X., Zhang J., Zhai W., Taureza M., Castagne S., Danno A., “Numerical and Experimental Investigation on the Deformation Mechanism of Micro Single Point Incremental Forming Process”, Journal of Manufacturing Processes (2018) 36: 248-254
- Sun W., Tan W.Y., Bhowmik A., Marinescu I., Song X., Zhai W., Li F., Liu E.J., “Deposition characteristics of cold sprayed Inconel 718 particles on Inconel 718 substrates with different surface conditions” Materials Science and Engineering A (2018) 720: 75-84.
- Song X., Everaerts J., Zhai W., Zheng H., Tan W.Y., Sun W., Li F., Marinescu I., Liu E.J., Korsunsky A.M., Residual stresses in single particle splat of metal cold spray process-Numerical simulation and direct measurement, Materials Letters (2018) 230: 152-156