YAM Yeung is a Professor of the Department of Mechanical and Automation Engineering at the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK). His general research interests include dynamics modeling and control, fuzzy approximation, human skill acquisition and automation systems. He is the Director of the Intelligent Control Systems Laboratory (LCSL), and also the Director of the CUHK-Beijing Institute of Technology Joint Research Center for Optomechatronics Design and Engineering (JRCODE). He and his team have engaged in a number of ITC-sponsored projects in advanced optical manufacturing in recent years. He is the General Chair of the International Symposium on Optomectatronic Technologies to be held in Hong Kong on November 1-3, 2011. He also served for many years as a member of the Judging Panel for the Hong Kong Award for Industry in the Machinery and Equipment Design category. YAM Yeung received his bachelor degree in Physics from CUHK, and his M.Sc. and Sc.D. degrees in Aeronautics and Astronautics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Before returning to teach at CUHK, he was a member of the Technical Staff in the Control Analysis Research Group at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, CA, USA. He has published over 150 technical papers in his areas of interest.
- Intelligent systems
- Computational control
- Human skill acquisition
- Surgical robotics
- Robotic platform for Chinese calligraphy and painting
- Tensor-Product (TP)-based Computational Design Approach
- Fuzzy Inference Mappings
- Optical Element Design and Fabrication
- Modeling of Biological Systems
Journal Papers (in the recent five years)
- H. Cheng, T. Wang, Y.P. Feng, and Y. Yam, “Process Planning and Tool Design of Magnetorehological Jet Finishing,” Applied Mechanics and Materials, Vols. 44-47, 2011, pp. 222-226
- S. Wang, X. Huang, and Y. Yam, “A Neural Network of Smooth Hinge Functions,” IEEE Transactions on Neural networks, Volume 21, no. 9, Sept. 2010, pp. 1381-1395.
- Coco P.L. Ho and Y. Yam, “Computational Design and Prototype Development of Optical Prism for Augmented Reality Projection,” Proceedings of the 2012 International Symposium on Optomechatronic Technologies, Oct. 29 – 31, 2012, Paris, France.
- Coco P.L. Ho, Adam P.Y. Li, Melvin M.F. Cheung, H. Cheng, H. Tong, and Y. Yam, “Design and Experimentation with a Self-Developed Magnetorheological Fluid-Assistive Machine,” Proceedings of the 2001 International Symposium on Optomechatronic Technologies, November 1-3, Hong Kong.
- Adam P.Y. Li, Melvin M.F. Cheung, Coco P.L. Ho, H. Tong, and Y. Yam, “An Automated System for Foucault Knife-Edge Test,” Proceedings of the 2001 International Symposium on Optomechatronic Technologies, November 1-3, Hong Kong.
- Josh H.M. Lam and Y. Yam, “Application of Brush Footprint Geometric Model for Realization of Robotic Chinese Calligraphy,” Proceedings of the 2011 2nd International Conference on Cognitive Infocommunications (CogInfoCom 2011), Budapest, Hungary, July 7, 2011, IEEE Publisher, pp. 50-54.
- P. Baranyi, Y. Yam, and P.Várlaki, Tensor Product (TP) Model Transformation in Polytopic Model-Based Control, Engineering and Environmental Sciences, CRC Press. To appear August 2013.