Weizhao Zhang received his B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering from Tsinghua University in 2014 and obtained his Ph.D. degree from the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Northwestern University in 2019. His research focuses on advanced manufacturing and numerical modeling especially for composite materials. During his research period, Weizhao has worked with academic and industrial partners including the Ford Motor and Dow Chemical Companies to develop computational material tools to systematically analyze the development of CFRP parts in large-volume applications. His material model has been implemented in the commercial software LS-DYNA by the Livermore Software Technology Corporation.
- Composite Materials
- Advanced Manufacturing
- Computational Mechanics
MAEG 3020 Manufacturing Technology
Journal Papers (in the recent five years)
- Zhang W, Bostanabad R, Liang B, Su X, Zeng D, Bessa MA, Wang Y, Chen W, Cao J. A Numerical Bayesian-Calibrated Characterization Method for Multiscale Prepreg Preforming Simulations with Tension-Shear Coupling. Composites science and technology. 2019 Jan 20;170:15-24.
- Zhang W, Ma X, Lu J, Zhang Z, Wang QJ, Su X, Zeng D, Mirdamadi M, Cao J. Experimental Characterization and Numerical Modeling of the Interaction Between Carbon Fiber Composite Prepregs During a Preforming Process. Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering. 2018 Aug 1;140(8):081003
- Liang B, Zhang W, Fenner JS, Gao J, Shi Y, Zeng D, Su X, Liu WK, Cao J. Multi-scale modeling of mechanical behavior of cured woven textile composites accounting for the influence of yarn angle variation. Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing. 2019 May 22.
- Shi Y, Zhang W, Cao J, Ehmann KF. Experimental Study of Water Jet Incremental Micro-Forming with Supporting Dies. Journal of Materials Processing Technology. 2019 Jan 18.
- Shi Y, Zhang W, Cao J, Ehmann K. An Experimental and Numerical Study of Dieless Water Jet Incremental Micro-Forming. Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering. 2019:1-26.
- Che D, Zhang W, Zhu Z, Ehmann KF. Rock fails in shearing as a tuned critical system. International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences. 2018 Oct 1;110:133-9
- Zhang W, Ren H, Liang B, Zeng D, Su X, Dahl J, Mirdamadi M, Zhao Q, Cao J. A non-orthogonal material model of woven composites in the preforming process. CIRP Annals. 2017 Jan 1;66(1):257-60
- Che D, Zhang W, Ehmann K. Chip formation and force responses in linear rock cutting: An experimental study. Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering. 2017 Jan 1;139(1):011011.